About the Client
eBay Inc. is an American multinational ecommerce company providing consumer to consumer & business to consumer sales services via Internet. The company manages eBay.com, an online auction and shopping website in which people and businesses buy and sell a broad variety of goods and services worldwide. In addition to this the company also provides shopping by UPC, ISBN, or other kind of SKU (via Half.com), online classified advertisements (via Kijiji or eBay Classifieds), online event ticket trading (via StubHub), online money transfers (via PayPal) and other services. eBay is headquartered in San Jose, California, USA.
The innovations team at eBay was on the lookout for the next billion dollar idea. They wanted to provide verticalized offerings of their Fashion and Motors segments as part of their innovations agenda. This agenda also included eBay revamping its mobile commerce business. For this, eBay wanted a mobility partner who had the right mix of design, delivery and innovation capabilities to execute their innovative initiatives.
eBay wanted RapidValue to create the eBay fashion app which would allow the users to view, browse and purchase from the world’s largest collection of merchandize. They wanted to provide their customers with millions of listings for clothing, shoes and accessories at their fingertips. The application should provide information on exclusive offers, provide information on deals of the day and inform customers about current trends. The application should also have a unique feature where a customer could click a picture of anything that catches their eye and the application would look up and find products that match that image. The native application should be built on both iOS and Android device platforms.
eBay chose RapidValue as their preferred partner of choice after evaluating about 20 vendors across the globe. RapidValue took up the task of developing the eBay Fashion App, eBay Moda (emerging markets) and eBay offertas.
RapidValue assigned four teams into this project.
- Framework team – worked mainly on creating frameworks and handling issues related to frameworks. Architecture level coding and further analysis was also developed by this team
- Fashion Team – worked on requirement analysis, development, UI integration and other functionality which was specific for the application.
- Testing team – worked closely with development team and kept track of the bugs raised and ensured quality deliverables for each release.
- Moda team – provided updates for the ebay emerging markets application and built the eBay offertas application on top of the emerging markets module.
RapidValue identified a roadmap for eBay’s mobility strategy across 100 countries and multiple backend systems through:
- Redesigning the end-to-end User Experience
- Re-development of the applications while ensuring no impact is made on the existing flow integration to eBay’s home grown backend systems
The fashion app includes the following features:
- Instant access to various fashion features
- Browse items with the help of image capture functionality
- Search by Category, Brand, Keyword
- Refine item with different combination
- View item page
- Purchase items with PayPal account
- My eBay to manage buying and selling
- Share with Facebook, Twitter, email or text message
- Apple TV Airplay integration that allows you to shop on your HDTV using your iOS device as a trackpad to control the browsing experience
- To implement the Government policies on User Acceptance, every screen was equipped with accessibility feature
The application was released in Phases for iOS 6 and iOS 7 followed by Android release. Based on user feedback and study of analytics information, RapidValue adapted continuous improvement methodology.
Some of the key results achieved for eBay are:
- Increased revenue for eBay through the mobile channel
- The addition of new innovative features into the App is well appreciated by users
- Provides Omni-channel experience across Mobile, Tablet, TV and Web
- Creation of a robust framework to support multi-app strategy of eBay across hundreds of countries