The Mobile Application Testing Strategy
There has been an increase in the adoption of smartphones, tablets and several mobile devices with the passage of time. And it has led to an enormous growth of mobile applications in recent years. Mobile device is considered to be the primary medium of interaction for the customers and also, businesses worldwide and mobile applications are, actually, driving the communication. People, generally, do not give much importance to mobile application testing because of its expensive nature. But it is very much essential to ensure that the consumers have a great experience, every time they use the application.
The aim of mobile application testing should be to acquire knowledge about the quality of the service that you are offering. Does it work properly or not? Will it provide services as per the expectation of the customer? These questions need to be answered to ensure that the customer comes back to you, for your service again. Mobile testing is becoming more and more complicated and complex with each passing day. Strategies are invented and used to simplify the mobile application testing.
Mobile Testing Strategy is an essential element to ensure the smooth functioning of any application. Emulators are considered to be vital testing platforms while Cloud testing solution is very much secure. Real Device Testing is said to yield the most realistic and practical results.
- All applications can be deployed and tested on emulator without investing in mobile handset for various OS
- Emulators are mostly available free, and we can also perform UI, stress and performance testing on it with 30-40% test coverage
- The Mobile devices can be accessed through web interface i.e. the browser
- Application can be deployed, tested and managed
- Automation module is available and the solution is secure, if private cloud is used with no maintenance
- Real device testing will give most realistic view of test results
- Up to 100% test coverage can be achieved
- All possible types of testing activities can be performed including those, that are dependent on hardware
Challenges in Mobile Testing
Mobile applications are considered to be “game-changing” technologies, which have further led to the development of various unique and beneficial testing challenges. The growth of the application market has increased the customer’s expectation of obtaining quality service. Companies are also coming up with new apps in the marketplace. Hence, challenges of mobile testing are also increasing each day. Whether it is an enterprise app or a consumer app, companies are finding out ample opportunities to boost their revenues and reaching out to a vast range of consumers.
This ambition leads to a greater development of mobile testing strategies which face certain challenges:
- Different form factors
- Wide variety of devices from different manufacturers, incase of Android
- Different versions of Mobile OS
- Different screen density
- Infrastructure and Connectivity
- Mobile testing tool availability – still on nascent stage
- Cloud testing platform solves some of these issues, however:
- It is very expensive
- Lock – in with the platform
- Scripts cannot be used outside of the platform
- OCR based platform. Because of automation, it is time consuming
For more information on mobile testing strategy download this presentation. It primarily explains, the strategy to be adopted in mobile app testing, the types of mobile app testing, application testing flow, and the stages to be followed, before the application is set live.
CTO, RapidValue Solutions