As you move to the cloud, you gain more knowledge about using containers to simplify the deployment and management of your applications. The rise of Kubernetes epitomizes the transition from Big Data to flexible data and it is evolving from supporting simple, stateless applications to sophisticated data-driven applications. Instead of creating resources in cloud, you are now able to create resources and infrastructure inside Azure Kubernetes cluster through deployments and services manifest files. Azure Kubernetes Service or AKS enables you to do that.
Microsoft Azure is a flexible and versatile cloud platform for enterprises and Kubernetes is becoming the standard way to manage application containers in production. With the help of Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), these two solutions come together, allowing users to quickly and easily create fully managed Kubernetes clusters.
Azure Kubernetes Service is the managed container orchestration service, based on the open source Kubernetes system, which is available on the Microsoft Azure public cloud. Organizations use AKS to deploy, scale and manage Docker containers and container-based applications across a cluster of container hosts.
The Significant Features:
- AKS is known to provide flexibility, automation and reduced management overhead for administrators and developers.
- AKS is able to automatically, configure all Kubernetes masters and nodes during the deployment process.
- It can handle a range of other tasks, including Azure Active Directory integration, connections to monitoring services and configuring advanced networking features, such as HTTP application routing.
- AKS helps in simplifying the deployment and operations of Kubernetes.
- It enables users to dynamically scale their application infrastructure with agility.
- AKS aids in simplifying cluster maintenance with automated upgrades and scaling.
- It can reduce the complexity and operational overhead of managing Kubernetes.
- Azure handles all the critical tasks which include health monitoring and maintenance.
Containers help to move applications and their dependencies between environments, and Kubernetes does its job best as it orchestrates containerization, effectively. Azure Kubernetes Service is considered to be the best way to simplify and streamline Kubernetes and hence, you are able to scale your application development effectively, with great agility.
1. Accelerated Application Development
Most of the developer’s time is spent on bug-fixing. AKS reduces the wastage of time due to debugging and handles auto-upgrades, patching and self-healing. With the help of AKS, container orchestration is simplified. You save a lot of time and it enables your developers to remain more productive as they are able to combat their biggest time-sinks.
2. Supports Agile Project Management
One of the key benefits of AKS is that it supports agile development programs – Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery/ Continuous Deployment (CD) and DevOps.
3. Security and Compliance
Cyber security is of utmost importance. AKS protects your business by enabling administrators to tailor access to Azure Active Directory (AD) and identity and group identities. When people are provided only the access that they need, the threat is greatly reduced. AKS is also, totally compliant. It meets the regulatory requirements of System and Organization Controls (SOC), as well as being compliant with ISO, HIPAA and HITRUST.
4. Ease of Application and Efficient Resource Utilization
The fully managed Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) makes deploying and managing containerized applications easy. Efficient resource utilization paves the way for elastic provisioning of additional capacity without the need to manage the infrastructure.
5. Faster End-to-end Development and Integration
AKS helps in minimizing infrastructure maintenance, using automated upgrades, repair, monitoring and scaling. This leads to faster development and integration. It helps in provisioning additional compute capacity in Serverless Kubernetes in a matter of seconds, without worrying about how to manage the infrastructure.
6. Run any Workload in the Cloud
You are able to orchestrate any type of workload running in the environment of your choice. You can move .NET applications to Windows Server containers or modernize Java applications in Linux containers and also, run microservices applications in the public cloud. AKS has the solution for you.
7. Removes Complexities and Reduces Expenditure
AKS helps in removing the complexities with regard to implementing, installing, maintaining and securing Kubernetes in Azure. There is also, a substantial reduction in expenditures as there are no per-cluster charges levied on you.
8. Using only the Resources needed
AKS is considered to be a flexible system that adapts to use only the resources that you need. If you need more resources, then all you need to do is click a button and let the elasticity of Azure containers do the rest. This enables reduction in cost, easier scaling and faster start-up speed.
Creating Fully Managed Kubernetes Clusters
Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) makes deploying a managed Kubernetes cluster in Azure much convenient and simple. It reduces the complications and operational overhead of managing Kubernetes as it aids in offloading much of that task to Azure. You are able to simplify the application of containerization by implementing AKS and eventually, take your software development to the next level.
Amrutha KB, Software Engineer, RapidValue