‘BYOD’ – Have you heard this word before? This term is becoming more and more popular these days at work. BYOD is making substantial progress in the corporate world, with about 75% of employees in high growth markets such as India, Malaysia, Brazil, Singapore and Russia and 44% in developed markets such as the US, UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Italy are adopting this technology at work.
For those of you who are new to this word, Bring- Your-Own Device (BYOD) means the policy of allowing employees to bring their own mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops, PDAs) to office, and use the devices (along with enterprise mobile apps) to access corporate data. This helps employees to interact with co-workers and customers in a timely manner.
Demand for implementing BYOD technology and Enterprise Mobility within the organization is growing faster than expected. According to recent report published by MarketsandMarkets, the total BYOD and Enterprise Mobility market is expected to reach $181.39 Billion by 2017 with a CAGR of 15.17%. This is because BYOD and Enterprise Mobility together brings in higher agility in business operations, more convenience to employees, better workforce connectivity and faster means of communication; leading to increased employee satisfaction and productivity.
Factors Driving Organizations to Implement BYOD and Enterprise Mobility
According to Forrester, a leading market research firm, organizations believe that BYOD is most useful to employees to be productive. Secondly, it increases employee confidence and convenience by allowing employees to use their own devices to access applications. This also makes the organization look like a flexible and attractive employer.
The top five factors influencing organizations are:
- Higher Productivity – need for real-time data access by staff and faster decision making by CIOs/ IT Managers
- Consumerization of IT – more convenience and easy-to-use approach
- Increasing Demand for Flexibility by employees – ability to work from anywhere, anytime
- Improved Customer Satisfaction – with fast and timely delivery of data
- Cost efficient Solution – making it beneficial to both employees and organization
Enterprise Mobility Applications to Support BYOD
Enterprise Mobility and BYOD technology are beneficial to every industry segment. However, it offers more advantages to large retailers, manufacturing, logistics, healthcare, automobile, construction and education industries. There are various scenarios in which employees need to interact with customers and co-workers. And there are multiple applications available to support this requirement. Some of the applications include:
Enterprise Dashboards – Operational Dashboards, Financial Dashboards, WorkFlow Management Application, Profitability Dashboard
- Invoice Approval Application
- HR and Expenses Tracker
- Quote and Sales Order Application
- Inventory and PO Receipt Management
- Asset Tracking and Facility Management
- Fleet Management
- Online Classroom Application
- Mobile Hospital Management Application
- In-Store Catalog and Sales Floor Assistant
- Mobile EMR/EHR Application
- Mobile Messaging and Communication platform
Challenges and how to overcome
Every technology has its pros and cons. Similar is the case in adopting BYOD and Enterprise Mobility for your organization.
The Enterprise Mobility market, especially in the US has been observing an increased adoption of bring your own device policy. However, the concern for data security could be a challenge to the growth of this market. CIOs and IT Managers in various enterprises are often concerned about the security and dynamic changes taking place in the organization. Therefore, providing the right security measure and setting the right policy is most critical for CIOs and IT managers.
So how do you secure BYODs technology in your organization and at the same time be able to access enterprise mobility applications? – The first and most important securing option in BYODs and Enterprise Mobility starts with the same requirements you apply to devices that are already on your network. These security measures include:
- Enforcing strong passcodes on all devices which is part of the BYOD program
- Encrypt the data which is stored as well as transmitted in the network
- Install antivirus protection and data loss prevention (DLP) software in the devices
- Set-up mobile device management (MDM) to wipe sensitive data when devices are lost or stolen
- Enable application control
- Formalize policies on BYOD (which hardware/software, which devices one can use, who is eligible for BYOD program, which apps one can install etc.) and ensure employees understand and abide by the policies
- Activate user-based role access for all enterprise mobility apps available for the users
- Uninstall the applications related to organization before any employee leaves the organization
Decision makers such as CIOs and IT Managers are recognizing the need to provide their employees with the latest technology to be ahead in competition. These dynamics have created a shift toward BYOD and need for enterprise mobility solutions for many organizations. Nevertheless, if you implement BYOD program in the right manner, it will help you reduce cost, increase productivity and revenue for your organization.
BYOD and Enterprise Mobility have also highly impacted various mobile ecosystem players such as mobile application developers, security software providers, device manufacturers, MDM providers, Telecom operators and more.
Ultimately the success for your business, by deploying BYOD and enterprise mobility applications depends on and how and what policies you implement.
Do share your thoughts. It will be interesting to know your thoughts on this topic.
Marketing Manager, RapidValue Solutions