Software testing is an essential and important technique for assessing the quality of a particular software
product/service. In software testing, test cases and scenarios play an inevitable and a pivotal role. A good strategic design and technique help to improve the quality of the software testing process. The process improves the quality of the product/service and ensures effectiveness. Software testing is the process of analyzing a software item to know the differences between the existing and required conditions (bugs). Testing helps to evaluate the features of the software, to ensure it is free of bug. It is an activity that is carried out in co-ordinance with the development cycle and before the deployment.
This article, explains the 10 factors to consider while choosing the right testing techniques:
- Type of system or software application – The design techniques, that are chosen, will depend
on the type of software application or system. Basically, techniques are chosen related to the
application type, mainly domain of the application, like finance, social media, healthcare etc. Also,
you need to categorize mobile or web applications.
- Regulatory standards – Regulatory standards are common testing standards approved,
internationally. Selection of techniques, also, depends on the standard of testing that is followed
in the IT industries.
- Customer requirements – Selection of techniques is also, based on the customer requirements
(sometimes they do not provide any requirement, in such a scenario you have to choose the
experience based approaches). The techniques may vary, based on the customer requirements.
- Level and type of risk – Based on the risk during the quality analysis phase, you have to choose
the right techniques. Risks may include lack of requirement, equipment or anything similar that
affects the quality. There can be both, high-level and low-level design techniques.
- Test objectives – Test objectives are important aspects that give a clear idea about the scope of
the testing activities. Based on that, you can select appropriate techniques.
- Documentation or requirement – Selection of techniques depends on the availability of test
documents like requirement document, analysis report, design document etc.
- Tester’s skill and knowledge – This factor is quite significant and plays a pivotal role in the
selection of experience-based technique. The knowledge of the tester, his/her perception of the
application and experience on test execution, to figure-out the defects, help to make the product
a quality one.
- Time and budget – Both, time and budget, are critical factors while choosing the right design
technique. Some projects are short-term and some are long-term. Based on the project you need
to choose techniques. You need to also consider how much budget is allotted for the
project. For small budgets, cost-effective approach should be taken.
- Application development life cycle – The application development life cycle has different
stages, parallel to testing stages. Different stages of development and testing require different
- Previous experience on types of defects tracked – This is kind of user experience on defects
that he/she had faced in testing life cycle. Further, he/she can replicate the same
situation and catch the defects, encountered previously, from his/her experience. This is, also, a
type of experience based technique.
To learn more on the testing techniques, Download the whitepaper “Test Case Design and Testing Techniques – Factors to Consider“.
This paper provides information about test case design activities, test analysis, quality risks, testing techniques, phases of test development. The paper also, explains the factors that need to be considered while choosing the right testing techniques and provides a checklist of test cases based on our rich experience of testing mobile apps.
Technical Lead – Quality Assurance, RapidValue