Appium: A Cross – browser Mobile Automation Tool
Appium is an open source test automation tool which is developed and supported by Sauce Labs. It automates native and hybrid mobile apps. Appium uses JSON wire protocol internally, in order to interact with iOS and Android native apps, using the Selenium WebDriver. A key function handled by Appium, a Node.js server is automating hybrid and native mobile applications for Android and iOS. The test codes, in Appium, can be written in any framework or language like Ruby on Rails, C# and Java without having the need to modify the apps for automation purposes. Appium can seamlessly, run on a variety of devices and emulators which makes it an apt choice for mobile test automation.
- Appium is free and open-source. It can be easily downloaded from GitHub.
- Appium is able to automate native, web and hybrid mobile applications. The tests can be executed on Real Devices, Simulators, and Emulators.
- It supports many programming languages.
- Appium provides record and playback option.
- It is compatible with any testing framework.
- Appium is cross-platform mobile testing which means the same test would work on multiple platforms.
- It is developed and supported by Sauce Labs. Hence, gets picked really fast within the WebDriver community for mobile automation.
What is BrowserStack?
BrowserStack is a cloud web and mobile testing platform that enables technocrats to test their websites and mobile applications across on-demand browsers, operating systems and real mobile devices, without requiring users to install or maintain an internal lab of virtual machines, devices or emulators. Before starting, you need to keep these in mind:
- You need to procure an account to get the access to BrowserStack. After procuring the account and by using the specific username and access key, we should be able to login to the BrowserStack site and start exploring.
- BrowserStack supports web and mobile testing options.
- Different browsers can be chosen for testing.
- Different models of Android and iOS devices are available in BrowserStack and user can choose the devices from the available device list.
BrowserStack – The Favorite Product Testing Tool
When you create a product, it is mandatory to be accessible to as many devices as possible. It is very rare that a website will perform on every system in a similar manner. This is why product testing is considered to be a must. Developers need to ensure that everyone is able to access the product. Without compatibility-testing sites, software development would be very difficult. Organizations try their best to physically test as many devices as possible or use emulators, but this is not at all easy. Enterprises focus on providing the best product for the customers in an efficient and timely manner and hence, BrowserStack proves to be such an important tool.
- BrowserStack allows developers for a compatibility-test across various devices.
- BrowserStack is a trusted favorite in the industry and gives you the ability to test the websites and applications on physical devices. The availability of several browsers and devices to test ensures that the developers are able to reach a wide range of users.
- BrowserStack is able to recommend which devices to focus testing based on how many unique visitors your business gets.
- Another benefit of BrowserStack is its speed. The process for live cross-browser / device testing is very prompt. This is an issue with other services since setting up devices for testing is usually time consuming. With BrowserStack, you are able to test and update client sites with ease.
- As technology advances, innovations happen and companies continue to release new products, there will always be a need for compatibility testing. Developers will strive to release best quality products with the help of the robust cross-browser features that BrowserStack provides.
BrowserStack’s App Automate for Powerful Mobile Application Testing
With the emergence of DevOps as a strategic differentiator, the engineering teams are ready to adopt Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) methodologies so that they are able to ship apps faster and also, streamline the DevOps pipeline. Automated app testing is considered to be the best way in optimizing the processes that are required to achieve world class CI/CD, and eventually, world-class DevOps.
BrowserStack helps in enabling the users to run automated tests for mobile applications on the BrowserStack Real Device Cloud with App Automate. App Automate users can concurrently run automated tests for both native and hybrid mobile apps on a large number of iOS and Android devices.
BrowserStack dominates the software testing space. With the release of App Automate, it is significantly acquiring its place as the de-facto choice for mobile app testing. BrowserStack’s App Automate provides simplicity and automation to the complex act of web and mobile application testing. It also, integrates with the leading testing frameworks and CI/CD tools to ensure fully automated testing across the DevOps pipeline.
Using Appium Desktop with BrowserStack – The Advantages
- Appium Desktop is an open source app for Mac, Windows, and Linux which gives you the power of Appium automation server in a flexible UI.
- You don’t need to use Node/NPM to install Appium, as the Node runtime comes bundled with Appium Desktop.
- BrowserStack integration with Appium Desktop allows you to inspect your app elements remotely using the BrowserStack device cloud.
- A useful way to learn about Appium or the app so users can write tests for it without requiring to have access to the app code.
- Using Appium Desktop with BrowserStack makes its very convenient for you to write the automation tests for your app.
Senior Software Test Engineer, RapidValue