Industry experts across the globe have been researching methods to counter the threat of physical spoofing of biometric samples. And as a consequence, various liveness detection methods have been conceived and also implemented in few devices. Liveness detection is considered to be biometric hardware devices that have the ability to look beyond the surface of the skin and are able to discriminate between the features of live skin and copies of those features within a fraction of a second. This innovative technology promises a lot and has the ability to revolutionize how you access sensitive information. It is crucial for organizations to have liveness detection checks in place to protect sensitive data, reduce theft, and mitigate fraud. These systems are provided to enhance existing facial recognition solutions by improving their ability to detect fraudulent activities.
What is Liveness Detection?
Liveness detection is considered to be a security feature that ensures that biological identifiers are from the original user and not from someone else. The traditional forms of fraud detection that are available include eye or lip movement analysis, prompted motion instructions, reflection detection in video feeds and zooming motion detection. One new technique is 3D depth analysis. There are two approaches for liveness detection – one is Active and the other is Passive. Active liveness detection refers to the procedures where the user performs an action, such as blinking his eyes, making facial movements or keystroking, which make it difficult and time consuming for the user to spoof the system. On the other hand, Passive liveness detection makes use of the internal algorithms to detect spoofs and requires nothing from the user.
Key Features of Liveness Detection Capabilities
Biometric identification has gained immense popularity with the passage of time and along with it, liveness detection processes have improved.
- In order to improve biometric security, liveness detection and anti-spoofing methods are improving. Implementation of accurate and accessible liveness detection continues to have the speed of traditional biometric identification methods.
- 3D cameras are being utilized for biometric identification. This allows systems to detect when photographs or replicas, including 3D printouts and masks, are being used. This technology increases security without demanding any extra effort from the user.
- AI learning is also being used to improve biometric security. It helps to reduce the rate of false rejection.
- Forward learning and skin reflectance testing are two techniques that are being employed to enhance anti-spoofing technologies and assist in improving models on the fly.
- The goal of liveness testing is to determine whether the biometric that is being captured is an actual measurement from the authorized, live person who is present at the time of capture.
Benefits of Adopting a Liveness Detection System
Well-crafted liveness detection methods help to minimize the risk against spoofing. The anti-spoofing technology is used to detect whether a subject is a real person or not. Liveness Detection software provides a number of business benefits from streamlining the digital customer onboarding process to detecting the fraudulent use of someone’s identity.
- Resistance to Spoofing Attacks – Liveness detection platform determines the real-world effectiveness of anti-spoofing technology and provides better protection for the customers.
- Better and Faster User Experience – The system ensures that legitimate users have simple, intuitive and low-friction experience.
- Enhanced Security – The techniques that help mitigate spoof-related risks, such as fake fingers, are designed to protect fingerprint sensors and lower the risk for fraud. Liveness detection softwares increases the security of fingerprint authentication.
- Adaptability – Machine Learning (AI) makes it adaptable to any form of spoofing. The security level can be customized to work with a specific hardware configuration.
- Recognition and Liveness Detection – Liveness detection is used in conjunction with facial recognition to detect whether someone is fraudulently impersonating another individual, which can be done either by wearing a prosthetic mask or presenting an inanimate photo or image.
The Rise of Facial Recognition Technology
How Digital Technologies Help Set Up a Facial Recognition System
Facial recognition has already made its mark in the digital world. An individual’s facial features are mapped mathematically and stored in the form of face prints in facial recognition technology. These stored face prints are then matched with the live capture to verify an individual’s identity. Organizations are also trying to analyze the face for receiving additional information from the recognized image. This is where facial analysis comes into picture. It helps in providing various insights like age and gender of visiting customers, identification of unique customers, frequency of returning customers, customer dwell time etc.
Some of the noteworthy benefits of facial recognition technology are:
- It helps in fraud detection and prevention
- It has efficient authentication methods
- Helps organizations with speedy authentication process
- A higher level of identity assurance
- It is able to save resources and time
- It is a convenient and cost-effective technology
Industries & Sectors Reaping Benefits of Adopting Facial Recognition
We dive into how facial recognition technology is shaping the future. The biometric software behind facial recognition applications enables you to identify facial structures, contours, and expressions thereby, making it a no-brainer for security and identification purposes. Here are some industries/sectors, that are starting to transform using the facial recognition technology, and their use cases:
- Heathcare – Facial recognition technology has the potential to make it much convenient for the patients to sign in at the doctor’s chamber or hospital without waiting in line or juggling forms. Healthcare companies are exploring the use of facial recognition for a variety of purposes that includes fraud prevention during the insurance claims process and helping to improve care for patients.
- Banking and Finance – Banking and finance sector place a high premium on security and fraud prevention. Banks are already using facial recognition to let customers securely log into their mobile banking apps. Financial institutions are also using facial recognition to streamline payments. Insurers would leverage facial recognition technology to provide quotes for life insurance policies.
- Hospitality – The hospitality industry deals with large volumes of customers at once, and for hotel owners, airlines and other companies hence, it is important to deal with them efficiently, without compromising on safety. Facial recognition systems can be used to automate certain verification or authorization processes. One of the most effective uses of facial recognition within hospitality management is the hotel check-in process.
- Marketing and Retail – Know Your Customer (KYC) has become an important trend and is being combined with the latest marketing advances in customer experience. The facial recognition algorithm helps you to analyze your customers’ gender and age, allows you to evaluate your marketing strategy efficiency and determine the commercial target audience.
- Security – Facial recognition mechanism is critical to the security field as it enhances capabilities of solutions like video security, access control and identity management systems. The essential benefits include managing crowd prone areas, identifying missing individuals, detecting criminals, and many more. Using this technology, you can grant access, identify passes, track and check suspects with accuracy.
- Governance – Governance system has introduced a step towards an accurate and safe identity by embracing the facial recognition technology. Facial recognition and tracking helps in the elimination of identity theft and they are beneficial in the election procedure. It can also be used in the defence services as it helps to control border security mishaps and prevent terror and crime.
The Future Prediction for Liveness Detection
Various anti-spoofing techniques are being developed and implemented that are helping in significantly raising the level of difficulty of spoofing attacks. Advanced liveness detection technique identifies the individual being scanned as alive or fake in biometric security systems. It has all the potential to enhance security, reliability, and effectiveness of a biometric system and protect against unauthorized access. Today’s technological advances can be exploited by fraudsters and hence, liveness detection is a vital feature for modern biometric-based recognition solutions.
Marcom Specialist, RapidValue