For most businesses, efficiently managing a team of service technicians is one of the most operationally complex tasks since it involves so many variables, which until recently had to be monitored, and controlled by human labor. It takes a significant amount of time and precision to keep track of all the unpredictable changes that are likely to occur at any given time. When connected mobile devices proliferated and systems began to communicate with each other more easily, the next step was to devise a technological solution that would assist with managing field service operations. The efficient planning of projects and better work allocation for field workers are the major factors that are expected to drive the growth of the FSM market. Moreover, the increasing adoption of mobile applications and wearable devices among the employees is expected to drive the growth.
Digital Transformation and Field Service Management (FSM)
Digital transformation can benefit your field service operation immensely. Real-time operational intelligence gives managers proper insights while end-to-end Field Service Management (FSM) automates the entire service supply chain. Predictive analytics and maintenance, provided by IoT and Big Data, helps organizations to accumulate real-time data. When remotely connected, IoT assets stream real-time data which enables organizations to predict potential issues. FSM solutions enable enterprises to connect and engage with their customers in the most effective way.
Automating your field service management fetches you many advantages and the efficiency of the field services translate directly into increased profitability. You are able to witness improved business and operational efficiency like never before when you are using a cloud based workforce management application. According to Stratistics MRC, the Global Field Service Management (FSM) Market is expected to reach $4.45 billion by 2022 growing at a CAGR of 16.5% during the forecast period.
Field Service Innovations – The Way Forward
FSM enables technicians to work “offline” when a wireless network is not available. Employees are able to integrate photo, video and document attachments. It lets you seamlessly integrate your back office enterprise resource management (ERM), customer relationship management (CRM), and accounting applications. There is an increased operational agility and productivity, effective workforce management, workforce mapping and asset visualization. FSM Solutions allow employees to engage with their customers in innovative ways.
- Automation is the Key – Manual processes may cause delays, inaccuracies, missed revenue opportunities and incur more cost. Automation, in the different stages of field services, will help the organizations to concentrate and focus on customers instead of admin. It enables field technicians and employees to work more productively.
- Predictive Maintenance, Remote Monitoring and Real-time Data – Failure prediction, inventory acquisition, service time prediction and smart allocation of services help to improve customer satisfaction. Remote monitoring helps to minimize service downtime for customers while working in real-time saves you valuable time and helps your business thrive.
- Benefits of Field Service Management Mobile App – Solutions with mobile tracking capabilities keep managers and customer service updated. The FSM solution allows your field technicians to record job data, log hours, and submit proofs of service while they’re working in the field. Real-time and digital proof mean improved accuracy and security for future audits.
- The Adoption of Artificial Intelligence (AI) – Artificial intelligence is going to simplify and automate service appointments. Powered by machine learning, chatbots will understand the customers and troubleshoot issues with them.
- IoT will Provide Increased Connectivity – The devices and machines that come equipped with sensors, are able to transmit signals, updates and warnings. IoT innovations will enable technicians to take advantage of the increased connectivity and automation thereby, enabling them to provide service in real-time. IoT-embedded wearables will see greater adoption.
- The Application of Augmented Reality (AR) and Deeper Integration of Virtual Reality (VR) – With the use of mobile devices and AR glasses, service technicians are going to find unique ways to approach service. AR applications are able to allow the technicians to check the machines without having to disassemble them. Similarly, VR has the potential as a highly visual training tool and ability to place technicians and employees into the same environment they’re learning about.
FSM Solutions: The Business Benefits
- Transition from Manual to Automation – Automation is here to stay and it helps to bring down the manual interventions gradually. Lesser manual intervention eventually, means lesser errors.
- Workflow Standardization and Quicker Invoicing – Mobile field service management helps to standardize the business workflow from dispatching to invoicing. Technicians can immediately send all the job information captures from the field.
- Mobile Access and Optimization Tools – Mobile field service management tools, which are deployed through a mobile, give you all the information that you need about any assigned task. FSM optimization tools help you to strike the right balance between expenses, resources and cost reduction.
- Advanced Algorithm Task Allocation – Advanced algorithm task allocation saves plenty of time and energy for both managers and technicians thereby, enhancing productivity of both the managers and technicians.
- Real-time Field Service and Improved Communication – Tasks are scheduled in real-time to the task force which reduces the customer wait time significantly thereby, resulting in increased customer happiness metrics.
- AI Driven Reporting- AI, coupled with in-depth analysis, provides actionable insights for your enterprise.
- Cost Reduction with Fuel Control and Route Optimization – Fuel consumption is a huge expense. With GPS tracking, you are able to delegate the system to create optimal routes instead of doing it manually.
- Improved Customer Satisfaction- There is a visible increase in the level of customer satisfaction through the investment in mobile devices and applications for field service workers.
Leveraging Field Services for More Efficient Management
By entrusting more power to digital transformation, many processes can now be automated by incorporating field service management solutions. These tools are used extensively to enhance the productivity of both the managers and the field technicians. They are able to incorporate algorithmically enhanced scheduling and provide access to real-time data from any device. Field services management assists in real-time executive location tracking, improves on the field responsiveness and facilitates customer satisfaction. The quality of field service is paramount to customer satisfaction. The information mobility, better collaboration among the field staff and coordination help to increase field service efficiency.
Nairita Goswami, Marcom Specialist, RapidValue