Jumio is an online mobile payments and identity verification company that provides card and ID scanning and validation products for mobile and web transactions, which they sell as “Netverify Trusted Identity as a Service”. Jumio enables real time automated ID verification. Jumio’s ID Verification allows businesses to establish the genuine identity of their users by verifying government-issued IDs in real-time. ID Verification is used by financial service organizations and leading brands to create trust for safe onboarding, money transfers, and user authentication. The identity verification functionality is embedded within a mobile software development kit (SDK) that is integrated in a mobile app used by smartphones and tablets. By adopting Jumio SDK, most of the user experience during the identity verification flow is owned and managed by the online identity verification solution provider.
Here are the key steps involved in the Jumio SDK code implementation:
- Add the below dependencies for minimal runnable SDK implementation.
implementation “com.jumio.android:core:3.7.3@aar” // Jumio Core library
implementation “com.jumio.android:nv:3.7.3@aar” // Netverify library
- Using the SDK requires an activity declaration in your AndroidManifest.xml.
- As soon as your activity is initialized, perform the following call to create an instance for the SDK.
var netverifySDK = NetverifySDK.create(yourActivity, YOUR_API_TOKEN, YOUR_API_SECRET, JumioDataCenter.US)
- If your customer account is in the EU data center, use JumioDataCenter.EU instead. Alternatively, use JumioDataCenter.SG for Singapore.
Root Detection and Device Supported Check
- Applications implementing the SDK shall not run on rooted devices. Use the below method to prevent usage of SDK scanning functionality on rooted devices.
- Call the method isSupportedPlatform() to check if the device platform is supported by the SDK.
- To show the SDK, call the respective method below within your activity or fragment. Activity: netverifySDK.start()
- Implement the standard onActivityResult() method in your activity or fragment for successful scans (Activity.RESULT_OK) and user cancellation notifications. (Activity.RESULT_CANCELED).
- Call netverifySDK.destroy() once you receive the result and don’t need the instance anymore.
- If you want to scan multiple documents, you don’t need to call delete on the netverifySDK instance. Simply check if the internal resources are deallocated by calling netverifySDK.checkDeallocation(<NetverifyDeallocationCallback>).
- Once this callback is executed, it is safe to start another workflow. This check is optional and should only be called once the SDK has returned a result and another document scan needs to be performed.
- Retrieve scan data by calling data.getStringExtra(NetverifySDK.EXTRA_SCAN_REFERENCE)
The following tables give information on the specification of document data parameters and errors.
The following table lists the error codes, where the first letter (A-J) represents the error case and the remaining characters are represented by numbers that contain information helping them understand the problem situation.([x][yyyy])
Below are some screenshots that gives an idea of how your implementation would look like.
JUMIO Key Features
- Catch fake ID’s – Jumio uses advanced automation and AI to catch more fraud.
- Meet compliance mandates – Simplify due diligence and comply with increasing mandates, including AML (Anti Money Laundering), KYC (Know Your Customer), GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and PSD2 (Payment Services) directives.
- Simplify customer onboarding – Easy to use and easily integrates into your new account onboarding workflow.
- 100% data extraction accuracy – Hassle-free and accurate. ID data is automatically extracted.
- Automate manual processes – Dramatically reduce the operating costs and time associated with manual ID verification.
- Improve verification accuracy – Jumio’s AI algorithms protect you against forged, counterfeit and camouflaged ID documents by quickly and automatically spotting anomalies that indicate fraud.
Jumio, the fastest and fully automated identity verification solution thus, gives modern enterprises the assurance they need to onboard and authenticate online customers, without friction. Real-time, fully automated identity verifications – powered exclusively by AI and machine learning, mean more conversions and fewer lost customers.
Reference : https://github.com/Jumio/mobile-sdk-android
Namitha Ann Pothen
Software Engineer, RapidValue