It is an established fact that automation testing is considered to be one of the most important factors in the software testing world. Coverage of automation testing is another critical point. Moreover, it is subject to the availability of different real devices, different brands of devices, different versions of devices, and different browsers. Modern DevOps and Quality environments require apps to be tested on hundreds of devices/OS/browser combinations. Managing an in-house device-lab is expensive, resource-intensive, restrictive, and done through manual processes. Most of the organizations are utilizing Digital Labs to get all the real devices and browser under a single umbrella.
Digital Testing Lab – Core to Digital Transformation
A digital lab provides access to real devices and browsers through an automation interface with a guaranteed level of uptime, or service availability, to support Agile development of web and mobile apps. Various vendors are providing Digital Labs in the Cloud. The testers and developers can use the Cloud Digital Labs for manual as well as automation testing. Digital labs are an elementary component of the strategies of many organizations around the world. The main purpose of such labs is to encourage innovation. Digital transformation, or any other transformational project, relies very much on it.
Understanding Desired Capabilities – Connecting Digital Labs
‘Desired Capabilities’ help you to modify the behavior of server while automation. Desired Capabilities enable you to configure the Appium server and provide the criteria which you wish to use for running your automation script. For example, you can request for the environment (emulator or real-device), which version of the operating system to run the test on, and more. Desired Capabilities are key/value pairs encoded in JSON format and are sent to the Appium Server by the Appium client when a new automation session is requested. Desired Capabilities play a pivotal role in various Cloud Digital Labs.
Cloud Digital Labs help to accelerate innovation for enterprises in industry verticals such as healthcare, manufacturing, BFSI, retail and CPG etc., through a ‘digital-first’ strategy. Some of the testing labs that enable the customers to make the most of their data, reduce infrastructure costs, enhance cloud security and scale easily taking their business transformation to the next level are:
- Perfecto Cloud – Perfecto Cloud is a web-based cloud platform that helps to do manual and automation testing of mobile and web applications. Perfecto Cloud provides access to its real-devices in the lab.
- SeeTest Cloud – Expiritest SeeTest Cloud provides SaaS digital assurance lab and access to hundreds of browsers & mobile devices (physical / emulated) hosted in Experitest data centers, from anywhere at any time. It helps to do automation for both web and mobile applicationshosted in Experitest data centers, from anywhere at any time. It helps to do automation for both web and mobile applications.
- BrowserStack – It is a Cloud web and mobile testing platform that enables developers and testers to test their websites and mobile applications across on-demand browsers, operating systems, and real mobile devices. Browserstack provides different ways of testing facilities.
- Sauce Labs – It is a cloud-based automated testing platform that enables developers and testers to perform functional and manual tests with Selenium or Appium on web and mobile apps. Sauce Labs supports real and virtual devices.
- HeadSpin – HeadSpin is a service that provides device farm, test automation environments, and monitors the performance of mobile applications.
- Kobiton Mobile Device Cloud – Kobiton enables developers and testers to perform automated and manual testing of mobile apps and websites on real devices. Kobiton allows for instant provisioning of real devices for testing with automated or manual scripts, and also allows current on-premise devices to be plugged in to form a holistic testing cloud.
- Testing Bot Cloud – TestingBot has been providing one of the cloud-based Selenium and Appium grids and has been improving its service ever since. TestingBot provides access to over 2000 browsers and devices that you can instantly start using for live and automated testing.
It is crucial for businesses to find a way to create and implement strategies to take advantage of digital labs. A digital lab provides access to real devices and browsers through an automation interface with a guaranteed level of uptime, or service availability, to support Agile development of web and mobile apps. Digital transformation of the lab means more automation, fewer errors and better results. Desired Capabilities help to configure the Appium server and provide the criteria which you wish to use for running your automation script.
Click here to know more about the efficiency of Digital Cloud Labs and understand the ‘Desired Capabilities’ that are used for the Digital Labs.
Test Architect, RapidValue