With proliferation of mobile devices, new release of mobile OS for smart phones, evolution in Mobile Internet speed, continuous implementation of device specific capabilities into mobile apps and availability of variety of apps for downloads from multiple app-stores is driving more and more consumers go mobile!
Today, every industry is realizing the need to have a mobile solution and therefore focusing on building a robust mobile ecosystem, to meet the ever-growing demand of mobile savvy users. Same is the case with retailers. small & mid-size retailers are now increasing their focus on developing mobile apps.
According to Juniper, leading research company, mobile retail market is growing at a rapid pace and is expected to reach $12 billion by 2014.
What consumers’ access using the mobile app?
How one use their phone has a lot to do with where they are shopping and what they are shopping. Here are the top 5 reasons, consumer’s access mobile apps (At different types of mobile retail stores):
Figure: Top 5 Reasons consumers use mobile retail app
Good to Know
Here are some interesting statistics around mobile retail:
- 25% of mobile users shop online only via a smart phone or tablet. Source: Luxury Daily
- 74% of U.S. consumers use location based services on their smart phone and 46% of mobile phone users use location based services. Source: eMarketer
- 33% of smart phone users have shared their location with retailers by using the map feature on a retail app, through a check-in service. Source: Mobile Commerce Daily
- 34% have made a purchase using their mobile phone compared to 19 % in 2011. Source: Mobile Commerce Daily
41% of mobile shoppers used mobile coupons at grocery stores, 41% at department stores, 39% at clothing stores. Source: Neilson
- At electronics stores, the majority 73% read reviews, 71% compare prices and 57% scan QR codes. Source: Neilson
Are you a shopaholic and a mobile savvy person? How often do you download retail mobile app? And what activities do you perform the most? Do share your thoughts.